Frequently Asked Questions

Transforming fats into muscles with exercise or the anxiety that muscles might be transformed into fats when you stop doing exercises are two of the most ridiculous fitness myths. These are stupid myths created by people who have no idea of anatomy and physiology. Muscle and fat cells are completely different structures and can never be transformed into each other.

Muscle tissue is a contractible tissue and demands high energy. Skeletal muscles are the muscles connected to the bones by tendons, which contract voluntarily. We use these muscles when we move. Involuntary muscles, on the other hand are the stomach, intestine and cardiac muscles.

Fat tissue is an adipose tissue which stores energy in the form of lipid. Recent studies revealed that it also acts like a hormone organ. Generally it is present under the skin, around internal organs, in yellow bone marrow, and in breast tissue. Excess fat tissue causes diseases.
Considering these we can say that muscles build up by exercise, and this leads increases burning of fats. Shortly, fat cells cannot be transformed into muscle cells.

Skeleton muscles do not look saggy even if they are completely loose due to posture deficiencies. Atrophy arises when muscles are not used for a long time. Thickness, in other words volume, of muscles decrease. Saggy appearance is not peculiar to muscles. It is peculiar to the skin tissue which surrounds the muscles with atrophy. This does not happen as soon as you stop doing exercises.

Changes related to ageing are specifically responsible for this. You lose 3% of you muscle mass by ageing. This is sarcopenia. Specialists refer to this as hidden death. For this reason, even most elderly people have to walk 30 minutes a day, and do exercises intended for development of different muscle groups. Referring to these theories, we have to say that both elderly and young people have to do exercises regularly to avoid loss muscles.

98% of women have cellulite. Remaining 2% is either African originated or genetically free from cellulite. Cellulite is not a disease, bad body fat, or excess toxin. In the simplest term, cellulite is fat tissue stored in female body. Stored fat dimpled, lumpy appearance in women due to anatomic differences between male and female skin. The skin consists of epidermis (the outer layer) and dermis (the layer beneath the dermis) layers between the skin surface and the muscles. Under the dermis, fat tissue is found consisting of three layers. Cellulite is formed in the fat layer closest to the skin surface. Cellulite formation differs in men and women due to different fat compartments. Women’s skin collagen is arranged in parallel rows whereas men’s collagen is arranged in X-pattern. This prevents fat moving towards the skin from the fat compartments in men. Yet, in women residual fat tissue moves towards the skin surface causing dinmples. Considering also the facts that women have estrogen hormone and thinner skin layer compared to men, we can understand why cellulite appears in women.

In order to get rid of this appearance, you have to follow a well balance diet, control your weight, and do exercises regularly instead of spending great deal of money on expensive creams. You have to keep your body free from too much Sodium, and drink plenty of water. Besides, you have to consume foods including crucifers, vegetables and fruits in season, and natural apple cider vinegar which improve the estrogen metabolism.

The most important fact you must know about body fat index is that women and men have different body fat index standards. Normal body fat index for a woman might be overweight for a man. Ideal body fat index might be determined according to the below given chart including results obtained by leading sports and health institutions in the world:




Required Vital Fat

% 10-13

% 2-5


% 14-20

% 6-13

Fit Person

% 21-24

% 14-17


% 25-31

% 18-24


% 32+

% 25+

If your trainer tells you that pilates contributes to weight loss, consider changing your trainer. Pilates is not a fat burning exercise system. Pilates increases your muscle percentage in the long run, and indirectly increases your metabolic rate. This will help you lose weight. But it is not possible to say that pilates leads to weight loss without a well balance diet and regular cardiovascular exercises.